View the IAM Brochure.
Why Choose IAM?
The International Academy of Macomb (IAM) is a tuition-free public high school for students from participating Macomb County districts. The IAM provides a unique blend of rigorous academic standards and intercultural learning opportunities with the International Baccalaureate Middle Years and Diploma Programmes as the centerpiece of the curriculum. The benefits of attending the IAM include:
- A challenging and engaging curriculum that prepares students for university-level work.
- An impressive number of college credits awarded by many universities to IB Diploma recipients.
- A small school environment with a collegial atmosphere.
- An extended school year that begins mid-August and affords time to deepen student learning.
- A focus on international mindedness.
- A diverse student population.
- Dedicated, highly qualified teachers.
- Laptop computers for each student to foster technology-based learning on IAM's wireless campus and at home.
- A variety of clubs and activities to involve students.
- The ability to stay connected to the home district through continued participation in that district's sports, clubs, and activities.
- Transportation to the IAM provided from sites in or near consortium home districts on most school days.
Successful, college-bound students with a sincere desire for an academically challenging and international education should apply to the International Academy of Macomb if they meet the following criteria:
- Entering 9th grade in the fall. Transfer students must be in ninth or tenth grade. Transfer students are not accepted after the beginning of junior year unless they are transferring from an International Baccalaureate school.
- Have a strong academic record and work ethic.
- Have taken an Algebra I or higher math class prior to attending and pass the
math and essay placement tests.
Students currently enrolled in a non-district school (i.e. private, charter, or home school) should contact their home district for more information and their IAM admission policies. Students must be registered in the residential home district to attend the IAM.
The Application Process
Applications for incoming freshmen are accepted during the enrollment period in December and January.
Application requires completion of the online application form which is available during the application period. Check back during the application period for a link to the online application portal.
Students and parents should attend the Informational enrollment meetings held in December at the IAM. The dates and times of the test can be found under Important Dates.
Students must also take and pass the IAM placement tests in math and English. The dates and times of the test can be found under Important Dates. They are typically administered in February at the International Academy of Macomb.
Parents are notified of a student's acceptance status in March after admissions tests are completed and scored.
Students interested in applying to the IAM as a transfer student need to be enrolled in one of the participating districts as well as follow an application process. Contact the IAM Main Office for more information.
Waiting Lists and Lottery
If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of allocated seats for a district, a lottery may be held by the district. After the allocated seats are filled, students may be placed on a wait list by their district. Students on the waitlist will be contacted by the IAM when spots become available throughout 9th and 10th grade. If a student declines an offered spot at the IAM, the student's waitlist/lottery number will not be held. The student will be removed from the waitlist and will no longer be considered a potential candidate for the IAM.
IAM Program Informational Presentation and other important dates: