2018 Application period: December 20, 2017 - January 22, 2018
The International Academy of Macomb, an official IB World School, offers unparalleled opportunities to high school students in Macomb County. Read on to learn what sets the IAM apart and how to to apply.
Why Choose IAM?
The International Academy of Macomb (IAM) is a tuition-free public high school for students from participating Macomb County districts. The IAM provides a unique blend of rigorous academic standards and intercultural learning opportunities with the International Baccalaureate Middle Years and Diploma Programmes as the centerpiece of the curriculum. The benefits of attending the IAM include:
- A challenging and engaging curriculum that prepares students for university-level work.
- An impressive number of college credits awarded by many universities to IB Diploma recipients.
- A small school environment with a collegial atmosphere.
- An extended school year that begins mid-August and affords time to deepen student learning.
- A focus on international mindedness.
- A diverse student population.
- Dedicated, highly qualified teachers.
- Laptop computers for each student to foster technology-based learning on IAM's wireless campus and at home.
- A variety of clubs and activities to involve students.
- The ability to stay connected to the home district through continued participation in that district's sports, clubs, and activities.
- Transportation to the IAM provided from sites in or near consortium home districts on most school days.
Successful, college-bound students with a sincere desire for an academically challenging and international education are eligible to apply to the International Academy of Macomb if they meet the following criteria:
- Entering ninth grade (freshman enrolles) in the fall. Transfer students must be in ninth or tenth grade. Transfer students are not accepted after the beginning of junior year unless they are transferring from an International Baccalaureate school.
- Have a strong academic record and work ethic.
- Have taken an Algebra I or higher math class in eigth grade and/or pass the
math placement test.
Students currently enrolled in a non-district school (i.e. private, charter, or home school) can apply through the home district in which they reside. Students must be registered in the residential home district to attend the IAM.
The Application Process
Applications for incoming freshmen are accepted during the enrollment period in January. You may call the office with any questions you may have: 586-723-7200.
Application requires completion of the online application form which is available during the application period, a completed principal/counselor recommendation form , a copy of the student’s current report card, a copy of the most recent standardized test (MEAP) results, and a $25 processing fee.
Students and parents should attend the Informational enrollment meetings held in December at the IAM. The dates and times of the test can be found under Important Dates.
Students must also take and pass the IAM placement tests in math and English. The dates and times of the test can be found under Important Dates. They are typically administered in February or early March at the International Academy of Macomb.
Current freshmen and sophomores as well as transfer and international students may apply to the International Academy of Macomb at any time. Please phone the office for more information.
Students currently enrolled in a non-district school (i.e. private, charter, or home school) can apply through the home district in which they currently reside. Students must be registered in the residential home districts at the time of IAM registration.
Should there be no seats available, students will be placed on a waiting list. Please call the IAM office at 586-723-7200 for more information.
International student enrollments will be considered individually on an ongoing basis. International students must demonstrate competency on placement tests and have been in the U.S. for two years or less to qualify as an international student. Although policies vary by country, state, and university, an IB diploma is generally accepted in lieu of other required national exams. IB schools generally accept transfers from other IB schools.
International students should arrange for a meeting with the IAM principal to determine
eligibility and space availability by calling 586-723-2000.
Parents are notified of a student's acceptance status in March after admissions tests are completed and scored.
Parents will be notified if:
- Their student does not qualify for the IAM.
- Their student qualifies and the number of district applicants does not exceed the home district's pre-determined student allocation at the IAM. The notification of acceptance letter will request a payment to cover the technology laboratory fee. Payment of this fee will reserve a student seat for the upcoming school year and the laptop computer given to each student.
- Their student qualifies but requires additional academic assistance prior to the start of the school year.
Parents will not be notified initially if:
- Their student qualifies for admission in a district that exceeds its pre-determined seat allocation. In this situation, the home district will inform parents as to the date, time and location of its IAM lottery.
- Parents of students who are successful in obtaining a spot at the IAM through the lottery will then receive a letter of acceptance from the IAM. The letter will contain registration and fee information required to reserve a seat for the upcoming school year.
Transfer and International Students
Transfer and international students will be notified directly by the IAM of their acceptance.
Parents of students who are placed on the waiting list will be notified as openings become available.