August 8, 2018
Dear IAM Community,
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year at the International Academy of Macomb!
First it is important to note how proud we are of our student accomplishments for 2017-2018!
- Nearly 95% of our seniors achieved the IB Diploma, surpassing the world average by 17% and the highest rate in the state!
- One of our seniors scored a perfect 45 on his IB Diploma making him one of only a few hundred of the nearly 160,000 IB Diploma candidates worldwide and perhaps the first IB student in the state of Michigan to achieve a perfect score.
- US News & World Report has ranked our school as the #1 high school in the State of Michigan, the #7 overall high school and the #1 magnet school in the USA.
- Our graduating seniors accrued nearly $4 million in combined scholarship money.
But I must say that we are very excited to embark on 2018-2019. Some of the highlights for this year are the following:
- We are an IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) and Diploma Programme (DP) school and the only all-IB school in Macomb County. This year we will be implementing a more robust program for the Approaches to Learning (ATL), a set of important learning skills for all students. We will also be issuing a report on these skills in addition to our MYP report card for parents and students.
- Many of our teachers have become IB Diploma Examiners, marking papers from students from around the world, a very prestigious distinction.
- Other staff have become “IB Educators” or part of the IB Educator Network (IBEN), providing workshops, site visits and consultation to IB schools around the country and the region.
We have a few new staff members that you should get to know:
- Sarah Robinson, (Michigan State University), will be teaching History.
- Caren Losiewicz, (Western Michigan University), will be teaching French.
Our Link Crew, led by Mr. Tapp, Mr. Lambdin and Ms. Thompson, will welcome the 150 incoming Ninth Graders to the Freshmen Orientation this Friday, August 10 at 8:00 AM. Our staff will return on Monday, August 13 and school starts on Tuesday, August 14 at 7:45 AM.
We also look forward to meeting all parents and guardians at our Open House on August 23 at 6:30 PM. Note: there will be a meeting for junior parents only that starts at 6:00 PM in the café.
We very much look forward to a great school year. We truly believe that parents are our partners, and that with your support, our students can reach new heights!